PDA

View Full Version : Tributes to Non-Lowie's who have 'crossed the bar'

loftysmudge
12-01-15, 11:07
Michael Monaghan
Lady E and myself are attending the funeral of my sister's Father in Law on Wednesday, he served as a Seaman on minesweepers in WW2. His name is Michael Monaghan and he was 94 when he died on Xmas Eve. RIP Michael, you were a good man and I'm sure that Leigh Rugby League club will miss you as much as the rest of us will. He supported them all his long life and attended games right up 'til his death.

Ianmac
12-01-15, 11:23
RIP Michael..........4111

jacko
12-01-15, 18:43
I would like to mention we lost a family member on Christmas day , Wilfred Jackson , or uncle Bill was 88 years old .A veteran of ww2 and the Korean war he was in the 1st Battalion of the Princess patricia,s Canadian light infantry mentioned a few times in the book deadlock in korea after a parachute jump that went wrong he was discharged due to a back injury , then he served in the Calgary Police till retirement He once mentioned that he went onboard the Eagle when he was in Korea the ship would have been in its 1st commish then being a clothears I didn't listen why he was on it or if he got mixed up I know the triumph was there perhaps Ian can shed some light on that ,he was proud of his british heretige

Ianmac
12-01-15, 19:31
RIP Wilfred...........4112

I would like to mention we lost a family member on Christmas day , Wilfred Jackson , or uncle Bill was 88 years old .A veteran of ww2 and the Korean war he was in the 1st Battalion of the Princess patricia,s Canadian light infantry mentioned a few times in the book deadlock in korea after a parachute jump that went wrong he was discharged due to a back injury , then he served in the Calgary Police till retirement He once mentioned that he went onboard the Eagle when he was in Korea the ship would have been in its 1st commish then being a clothears I didn't listen why he was on it or if he got mixed up I know the triumph was there perhaps Ian can shed some light on that ,he was proud of his british heretigeAs far as I can ascertain EAGLE although commissioned in October 1951 did not take part in the Korean war [1950-1953], her first active service was during the Suez crisis of 1956.

During the first weeks of UN involvement in the Korean War, one of the two aircraft carriers on the scene was the British light fleet carrier Triumph (http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-fornv/uk/uksh-t/trimph11.htm). She remained in action during much of the conflict's first three months, and was relieved by a sister ship, HMS Theseus, in September 1950. Other RN and RAN light fleet carriers taking part in combat operations were HMS Glory, HMS Ocean and HMAS Sydney. The aircraft maintenance carrier Unicorn was also involved

jacko
12-01-15, 19:46
thanks for that Ian,

bonzo
12-01-15, 21:13
Michael Monaghan
Lady E and myself are attending the funeral of my sister's Father in Law on Wednesday, he served as a Seaman on minesweepers in WW2. His name is Michael Monaghan and he was 94 when he died on Xmas Eve. RIP Michael, you were a good man and I'm sure that Leigh Rugby League club will miss you as much as the rest of us will. He supported them all his long life and attended games right up 'til his death.

Sorry to hear of your and Jackos loss over the Christmas. These chaps came from a mighty generation of people and we all owe them a debt of gratitude. RIP.

thomash123
13-01-15, 01:03
Sorry to hear of your and Jackos loss over the Christmas. These chaps came from a mighty generation of people and we all owe them a debt of gratitude. RIP.

I would just like to echo Bonzo's words.

These great men must have been cringing in their later days as to what is happening in our once great country.

loftysmudge
13-01-15, 13:59
I would just like to echo Bonzo's words.

These great men must have been cringing in their later days as to what is happening in our once great country.

Michael certainly did Tom, and I too echo Bonzo's words. We will give him a good Naval send off tomorrow, he liked his rum, so a tot, or two, will be had.

loftysmudge
15-07-15, 15:49
One of Bolton RNA members, Roy Grimshaw crossed the bar over the weekend, it is his funeral tomorrow. Roy served in WW2 on HMS Formidable in the Far East.
RIP Shipmate and all our thoughts are with his wife Olive and his family. We will give him full Naval honours, Guard of Honour, Standard etc.

Ianmac
15-07-15, 16:00
RIP Roy.......4269

jacko
15-07-15, 16:15
Rest in peace we owe so much to that generation

loftysmudge
15-07-15, 19:48
Rest in peace we owe so much to that generation

We certainly do Jacko, Roy survived several attacks by the Japs on the Formidable.

bonzo
15-07-15, 21:32
Sad to see that generation disappearing. RIP

loftysmudge
02-09-15, 11:00
Another ex member of Bolton RNA crossed the bar last week, John Simpson, aged 91, served in the RN from 1939 to 1945 on Atlantic convoys then in the Pacific

Goodbye and RIP John, you were a lovely man and we will miss you.

Ianmac
02-09-15, 11:29
RIP John, fair winds and a calm sea.

jacko
02-09-15, 16:07
RIP John, Watch done.

loftysmudge
15-09-15, 15:16
Another one of our members funeral today, Joe Burke who served in WW2 on HMS Cardigan Bay, a Bay class Frigate, he was 90. That's 3 now in the last few weeks, all good lads too.

RIP Joe.

Ianmac
15-09-15, 15:50
RIP Joe.............Safe Anchorage.

Richie
01-12-15, 20:58
Not Lowie related but was saddened to hear today of the crossing of the bar of JJ Black, one opf the finest officers i served with and it didnt matter if you were the President of the USA or a tramp on the street , he treated everybody equal, often found outside the SRs mess at midnight waiting for a call round.( when id sneak a tot from his bar )

On another note my oppo Graham from the Droylsden RNA who had just got on the mend from throat cancer had a Heart Attack and crossed the bar this morning, a great guy and always good for a drink (even though he was Scottish) attended every RNA function or event and has left a lot of happy memories from his friendship.

RIP shipmates you served the Andrew well, sleep tight, watch done

Simon
01-12-15, 21:46
That's a shame.
JJ Black took over as Captain of the Fife just before I left her. I don't really remember him but I know that his reputation preceded him and those that knew him on board were really pleased he was taking over.
Rip gents.

Richie
04-12-15, 11:42
Lofty, Dont know if you remember Graham, from the times you attended Droylsden RNA functions (smart as a guardsman Scot) His Funeral is 1145 Stockport Crem, Cyprus Chapel, Monday 14 Dec

loftysmudge
05-12-15, 09:55
I do remember him Richie, but unfortunately cant make it on the 14th as I have a hospital appointment that morning. Are you going?

RIP Graham.

Richie
05-12-15, 12:46
yes mate, may take the train though

loftysmudge
05-02-16, 11:31
Dave Tollerton, Chairman No 10 Area RNA and fellow Stoker sadly crossed the bar last night. His contribution to the running of No 10 Area was massive, and his typical Scouse sense of humour will be very much missed.

RIP Dave, watch done, at least you are pain free now.

Ianmac
07-02-16, 22:28
RIP Dave...............4582

loftysmudge
18-02-16, 10:10
Had an email off the Welfare rep of No 10 Area, Dave Tollerton's Funeral was very well attended and 11 Standards were present from Branches in the North of England, so he had a good send off from all the "Shipmates" up here.RIP- Dave.

Ianmac
21-02-16, 19:03
Captain Eric Melrose "Winkle" Brown, CBE, DSC,AFC, Hon FRAeS, RN (21 January 1919 – 21 February 2016) was a British former RN officer and test pilot who flew 487 different types of aircraft, more than anyone else in history. He also held the world record for most aircraft carrier landings performed (2,407)and was the Fleet Air Arm's most decorated living pilot. He achieved several "firsts" in naval aviation, including the first landing on an aircraft carrier of a twin engined aircraft, an aircraft with a tricycle undercarriage and a jet propelled aircraft.

A true legend, WWII naval fighter ace, test pilot, and much else. RIP Sir.

Telegraph Obituary........link- (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/12167611/Captain-Eric-Winkle-Brown-obituary.html)

loftysmudge
21-02-16, 19:23
Captain Eric Melrose "Winkle" Brown, CBE, DSC,AFC, Hon FRAeS, RN (21 January 1919 – 21 February 2016) A true legend, WWII naval fighter acd, test pilot, and much else. RIP Sir.

Quite a man and quite a career, RIP Sir.

Richie
21-02-16, 22:30
watched a programme about him a while back, a true legend RIP Sir

jimdavis
22-02-16, 16:52
[QUOTE=Ianmac;29065]Captain Eric Melrose "Winkle" Brown, CBE, DSC,AFC, Hon FRAeS, RN (21 January 1919 – 21 February 2016)

In any other country this man, this amazing multi-talented and courageous and above all modest man would have been feted as a national hero - he really was the stuff of legend. The Americans dearly wanted just one of his records - (deck landings) and assigned one of their best to achieve it - he cracked up on 1600. They would have made him into a super star - bigger than Audie Murphy - In this country I doubt most people have even heard of him, we seem almost ashamed to acknowledge the existence of such people.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________

Ah... but I was so much older then - I'm younger than that now. Bob Dylan

loftysmudge
06-03-16, 19:04
It is with sadness that I am reporting the death of Bolton RNA President Frank Iddon after being in and out of hospital for the last few months Frank served RN as a Seaman from 1942 to 1949 in HMS Victory, HMS Phonecia, HMS St Angelo and HMS Chaplet. He was 88 years and will be much missed. He had a very Lancastrian sense of humour and was an avid fan of Bolton Wanderers.

We will all miss him very much. RIP Frank.

Ianmac
06-03-16, 20:49
RIP Frank, we both served in Chaplet one of those great WWII built destroyers that in the latter part of their lives as training ships introduced many boy sailors to their first taste of life at sea.

loftysmudge
07-03-16, 10:50
RIP Frank, we both served in Chaplet one of those great WWII built destroyers that in the latter part of their lives as training ships introduced many boy sailors to their first taste of life at sea.

He would have been pleased to know that Ian.

loftysmudge
14-03-16, 10:37
Off to Bolton for the funeral of Frank today, we will give him a good Navy send off, White Ensign, Standard etc, and have a little tot in memory of him.

loftysmudge
14-03-16, 20:10
Ian, lots of mentions, and photos, of the Chaplet today. It was Franks only sea going ship, and he loved it on there apparently.

Ianmac
15-03-16, 12:43
HMS Chaplet D52 where I did my first Middle watch, watch on deck, lifebuoy ghost, seaboats crew, cable party, helmsman, Ops room watch, light jackstay, lookout, washing paintwork,' bluebelling' brightwork, cook of the mess (making your own 'clacker' and taking the 'cackleberries' etc up to the galley for the chef to hard boil for brekkies) and sleep in a hammock.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj109/ianmac44/Chaplet20D52-02_zpsqcscdzj0.jpg (http://s270.photobucket.com/user/ianmac44/media/Chaplet20D52-02_zpsqcscdzj0.jpg.html)

loftysmudge
16-03-16, 09:27
HMS Chaplet D52 where I did my first Middle watch, watch on deck, lifebuoy ghost, seaboats crew, cable party, helmsman, Ops room watch, light jackstay, lookout, washing paintwork,' bluebelling' brightwork, cook of the mess (making your own 'clacker' and taking the 'cackleberries' etc up to the galley for the chef to hard boil for brekkies) and sleep in a hammock.

Happy days eh Ian? And you followed a great bloke in Frank on board.

Talking to Frank's son at the funeral I found out he played the drums around the dance halls in Bolton and was approached by a Bolton band leader called Alan Ainsworth, who you might have heard of, to go to London to play the drums in his band on things like the Goon Show. Frank turned the offer down apparently because of his young family, but what if he had taken up the offer I wonder? He never mentioned playing the drums at all, wish he had, as I play the drums too, but nowhere near Frank's standard, his son played a grainy recording of Frank doing a solo, and he was very good, then we could have bored the rest of the Branch rigid with drum talk.

loftysmudge
22-03-16, 21:06
Just a little sequel to the above about Frank, we found out that his wife, whose been in a home suffering from Dementia for a few years passed away yesterday, as if she was waiting for Frank to go first. I know she wasn't ex Lowie or RN but RIP to Mrs Frank. And thoughts to the family suffering both deaths within a couple of weeks or so.

IFG
23-03-16, 11:09

Did my Ganges sea training on Chaplet in 1960. Pissed down all the time I was on her, sick as a pig in a force 8 and ended up at the exciting Barry Docks.
RIP Frank may you find safe anchorage

Richie
23-03-16, 17:39
POSTD Chris Parkinson, I got in contact with Chris a couple of years ago and last month went for a drink with him at his RNA in Pendelton, Salford. yesterday at 1500 he posted a pic of himself on FB outside Winchester Cathederal as he was attending Admiral JJ BLacks Memorial Service, he then posted a pic of JJs medals and we had a quick chat about who had cleaned them most !!!

What a shock when I logged onto facebook this morning to find Chris had died after the Memorial Service. No further details known as yet, Im just glad I managed to go and see him last month after a 26 year break.

Hope he has a good time fluffing pillows up there, he always said he was POSTD to the stars. His Cabin Mate on the London left a great memory as Chris used to wind him up as he was Chief of the watch and looked after millions of pounds worth of equipment whilst on the same pay as Chris who just had to make sure he didnt scorch the skippers shirts

RIP old buddy

Ianmac
23-03-16, 18:45
Sorry to hear that Richie

RIP Chris.......4622

Simon
23-03-16, 23:09
That's a shame Richie.
Sounds like he was a nice bloke.

RIP

loftysmudge
24-03-16, 09:57
RIP Chris, hope you find peace in that big Wardroom in the sky.

IFG
31-03-16, 08:49
POSTD Chris Parkinson, I got in contact with Chris a couple of years ago and last month went for a drink with him at his RNA in Pendelton, Salford. yesterday at 1500 he posted a pic of himself on FB outside Winchester Cathederal as he was attending Admiral JJ BLacks Memorial Service, he then posted a pic of JJs medals and we had a quick chat about who had cleaned them most !!!

What a shock when I logged onto facebook this morning to find Chris had died after the Memorial Service. No further details known as yet, Im just glad I managed to go and see him last month after a 26 year break.

Hope he has a good time fluffing pillows up there, he always said he was POSTD to the stars. His Cabin Mate on the London left a great memory as Chris used to wind him up as he was Chief of the watch and looked after millions of pounds worth of equipment whilst on the same pay as Chris who just had to make sure he didnt scorch the skippers shirts

RIP old buddy
RIP May you find safe anchorage

Ianmac
24-05-16, 22:29
Former CPO GI Mike Smith 'crossed the bar' on the 1st May 2016 due to cancer.
A great guy, Mike served at Dryad as an Instructor in the early 80's with myself, Frenchy De La Haye and Jim Shepherd, he was a stalwart of the GI's Association, serving as their magazine editor for over 20 years also devoting a great deal of his time to raising money for charities. He will be sadly missed by all who knew him.
RIP Mike.

thomash123
24-05-16, 22:50
Former CPO GI Mike Smith 'crossed the bar' on the 1st May 2016 due to cancer.
A great guy, Mike served at Dryad as an Instructor in the early 80's with myself, Frenchy De La Haye and Jim Shepherd, he was a stalwart of the GI's Association, serving as their magazine editor for over 20 years also devoting a great deal of his time to raising money for charities. He will be sadly missed by all who knew him.
RIP Mike.

Ian I knew Mike but never served with him and I echo your kind words. rip.

loftysmudge
26-05-16, 08:59
I didn't know Mike, but RIP Chief.

loftysmudge
10-06-16, 18:42
Shipmate Ken Curran of Bolton RNA "crossed the bar" last Wednesday, he was 95. Ken served as a DEM(S) rating in WW2 on various merchant ships, and 1 Warship HMS Rodney.

RIP Ken.

Ianmac
10-06-16, 19:32
Shipmate Ken Curran of Bolton RNA "crossed the bar" last Wednesday, he was 95. Ken served as a DEM(S) rating in WW2 on various merchant ships, and 1 Warship HMS Rodney.RIP Ken.Sorry to hear the sad news, yet another WWII veteran left us, he had a good innings.

RIP Ken..........4639

thomash123
10-06-16, 20:55
Sad news indeed mate. RIP

loftysmudge
20-06-16, 17:37
Shipmate Ken Curran of Bolton RNA "crossed the bar" last Wednesday, he was 95. Ken served as a DEM(S) rating in WW2 on various merchant ships, and 1 Warship HMS Rodney.

RIP Ken.

It was Ken's funeral today, lovely little non religious service. And one of those strange WW"2 stories that Ken never mentioned, he was due to join a merchant vessel, I think the SS Polperro, as a DEM(S) rating and missed the ship sailing as his train was delayed by bombing, the ship sailed for New York and was sunk by a U Boat with all hands. Fate eh?

jacko
21-06-16, 16:06
RIP Ken we owe so much to that generation

Richie
02-01-17, 20:45
Just heard that my old oppo from Droylsden RNA crossed the bar on New Years Eve
Called uncle albert as Derek resembled Uncle Albert from Only Fools and Horses, A staunch supporter of the RNA he served in both the Royal and latter the Merchant Navy. He had been suffering Cancer and Parkinsons for quite a few years. He was always supporting the Droylsden RNA functions and out on his Narrow boat at every opportunity, infact he took his boat out on the day that he died. Although not at Droylsden RNA anymore I will miss the old fella. Sleep Tight Derek, watch done

Ianmac
02-01-17, 22:55
RIP Derek..............4760

loftysmudge
03-01-17, 11:20
Just heard that my old oppo from Droylsden RNA crossed the bar on New Years Eve
Called uncle albert as Derek resembled Uncle Albert from Only Fools and Horses, A staunch supporter of the RNA he served in both the Royal and latter the Merchant Navy. He had been suffering Cancer and Parkinsons for quite a few years. He was always supporting the Droylsden RNA functions and out on his Narrow boat at every opportunity, infact he took his boat out on the day that he died. Although not at Droylsden RNA anymore I will miss the old fella. Sleep Tight Derek, watch done

Very sorry to hear that Richie, I remember him from the functions we attended at Droylesden RNA.

loftysmudge
03-01-17, 11:21
RIP Derek(Uncle Albert)

loftysmudge
13-01-17, 16:45
Very sorry to announce that Bernard Leaver ex ERA of Atherton RNA has Crossed the Bar, RIP Bernard you were a good man and will be much missed at Atherton Branch.

Ianmac
13-01-17, 17:29
Sorry to hear the sad news Tony.
RIP Bernard............4762

Ianmac
18-01-17, 09:36
The following has been submitted by Steve Foster [sgangpompey]

I know that this is an unusual request but can any Lowie attend this shipmates last parade. Please see the following:

Tony Richards passed away on 7th January in Queen Alexandra Hospital, Portsmouth, aged 66 years. He served on HMS Antrim and saw active service in the Falklands.

He has no known family and the Veterans Bereavement Support Service are appealing to veterans and others to go along and ensure that his funeral is marked with the full dignity he deserves.

The service will take place on Thursday 26th January at 12 noon at Portchester Crematorium, South Chapel - Upper Cornaway Lane, Portchester, Fareham. PO16 8NE

RIP Tony...........4765

loftysmudge
18-01-17, 11:46
The following has been submitted by Steve Foster [sgangpompey]

RIP Tony...........4765

I hope that any ex Lowie's in the Pompey area will be able to attend the funeral, if as said he has no known family his ex shipmates, to me anyway,becomes his family and he deserves to have a good send off. RIP Tony.

thomash123
18-01-17, 18:47
Very sad news and like Lofty hopefully some people near the area can attend. RIP.

Ianmac
20-01-17, 17:57
Received from Warwick Franklin[wbf]

'Just to let you know that Captain Tom LeMarchand RN, passed away on 19th December aged 75 after a ten year battle with Alzheimer's. We are having a Thanksgiving Service at St Mary's Church, Woodbridge IP12 4LP at 2pm on Friday 24th February which will be a Thanksgiving for his very full and happy life.'

Captain LeMarchand was CO of HMS Cleopatra from June 1987 - January 1989. I know some of you would have served with him or knew of him. A submariner by trade he served as Captain SM3 and also in Valiant (CO during Falklands war), Narwhal, Opportune, Warspite and Dreadnought.

RIP........4767

thomash123
21-01-17, 00:04
I did know the man but thoughts are with his family. rip.

loftysmudge
21-01-17, 16:30
I did know the man but thoughts are with his family. rip.

Likewise Tom, RIP Sir.

loftysmudge
21-01-17, 16:35
Very sorry to announce that Bernard Leaver ex ERA of Atherton RNA has Crossed the Bar, RIP Bernard you were a good man and will be much missed at Atherton Branch.

Bernards Funeral was today, lots of RNA members attended, including CDr. Harry Harley President of No 10 Area RNA who give a lovely little homily.

Bernard was a National Serviceman in the RN and served on HMS Ocean in the Suez Crisis in 1956, he will be missed by everyone who knew him in the RNA and outside and our thoughts are with his family at this sad time.

bonzo
21-01-17, 18:35
Very sad news and like Lofty hopefully some people near the area can attend. RIP.

If circumstances were different next week I would attend but I have just been off sick for a few days and two of my work colleagues are away next week, one holiday and one bereavement so only me in.

loftysmudge
14-06-17, 19:29
S/M Bert Lowe Bolton Branch RNA sadly "Crossed the Bar on Saturday 10/6/17. Bert served in the RN as a Seaman in WW2 on HM Ships Douglas and Searcher, he was 93 years old, and a lovely man who will be missed by all who knew him.

RIP Shipmate Bert, watch done

Ianmac
14-06-17, 19:35
RIP Bert.........safe anchorage

jacko
15-06-17, 16:00
RIP Bert .

thomash123
17-06-17, 22:41
RIP buddy.

loftysmudge
20-06-17, 18:23
Just found out today at his funeral that Bert Lowe was the holder of a Burma Star, one of his ships, HMS Searcher was involved fighting the Japs, he never ever mentioned that at all.

Ianmac
06-09-17, 11:25
Received the following announcement:

If you served in the sixties, seventies and eighties and your ship berthed in the NE of England then you may have known Celia Stobbart who was responsible for looking after the ships and crews who docked in the area.

Celia passed away last week, she was 88 and took a fall in her house, got pneumonia and never woke up.
The funeral is on Monday the 11th Sep, at Tyneside Crematorium at 15:00.
Should anyone wish to attend or send flowers I know her family would be touched, and I would ask you to please pass the word round to all your contacts who may have known her. She gave a lot to her job and it would be nice to receive a word or two from those who served at the time, especially as the MOD just handed her a retirement and then turned the back.

She was a fixture in the Navy for quite a while and I know that she was well-known and popular, she even had a certain Lt Cdr Andrew Windsor worried that he might have unintentionally offended her on one occasion.

For those who don't know, Celia dedicated herself to making sure that all ships and sailors had the very best available and was an absolute wizard at solving problems. During the Falklands spat she went through a lot of anguish as she knew all the ships involved and a lot of the crews and I have rarely seen her as tense throughout the whole time that her lads were in danger.

She looked after the average matelot too, often never having even met them. I remember that once a mother and daughter came to her office claiming that the daughter was pregnant by a lad on a certain ship, she had his name, when he was berthed in Newcastle. Celia explained the processes, said she would contact the ship and the lad and explain the situation. She then chatted to the pair and got them relaxed and enquired as to when she expected the baby. The girl said that she was four months gone which Celia pounced on pointing out that the ship hadn't docked till just over three months before, and invited them to leave the office.
I remember her being indignant that they would try to pin the fatherhood on a lad who might have tried to do the decent thing and so the girl would cop for a steady wage as a service wife when it wasn't his fault.
That was Celia, looking after the lads.

Sad news but that's life.

Thanks Gents.

thomash123
18-09-17, 21:47
Very sad to hear this news.

I knew her well when I was at Calliope, she certainly loved the RN and worked tirelessly for it.

RIP

loftysmudge
19-09-17, 09:25
Never met Celia but she seemed to be quite a woman, and a mother figure for the lads up in the North East.

RIP Celia, a true lady.

Ianmac
26-10-17, 09:58
Received the sad news this morning that a family friend, Les Daniels had 'crossed the bar' after a long heroic fight against the big 'C', he was only 61.
Les was a proud Royal Marine who completed his career as a WO1, as a young marine he was one of the Falkland Islands small marine detachment who were ordered to surrender at South Georgia to Argentine forces. An account of his brave actions as an explosives expert appear in many of the books since published about the conflict.
After leaving the RM Les joined the Royal Caribbean Cruise ship Line as a Security Officer and rose to be the senior officer in charge of security on these huge floating hotels.
He had a great sense of humour and it was always a pleasure to see him and have a few drinks over a meal and partake in a bit of "lamp swinging".
My sincere condolences go to his wife Sheena and family.
RIP Les

loftysmudge
26-10-17, 11:30
RIP Les, and our thoughts are with Wife and Family at this sad time.

thomash123
26-10-17, 22:57
RIP Les thoughts are with your family and friends.

Johno Johnson
27-10-17, 18:55
yo- Just been a short article on BBC South Today about the Booties on Stanley. Fought so well they'd used all their ammo up! Spokesman also ex marine from the incident would like the powers to consider a bar for the South Atlantic Medal for the Booties/Marines.

loftysmudge
28-10-17, 11:26
yo- Just been a short article on BBC South Today about the Booties on Stanley. Fought so well they'd used all their ammo up! Spokesman also ex marine from the incident would like the powers to consider a bar for the South Atlantic Medal for the Booties/Marines.

Quite right too.

Ianmac
13-01-18, 18:20
It's being reported that Surgeon Captain Rick Jolly has crossed the bar aged 71.
He is famed for his remarkable work during the Falklands war receiving an OBE and the Official order de Mayo from the Argentine government.He was one of the founders of SAMA (South Atlantic Medal Association) and the author of "Jackspeak" and other books.

RIP Sir................4900

http://ultraimg.com/images/2018/01/13/nYdd.jpg

loftysmudge
13-01-18, 18:28
It's being reported that Surgeon Captain Rick Jolly has crossed the bar aged 71.
He is famed for his remarkable work during the Falklands war receiving an OBE and the Official order de Mayo from the Argentine government.He was one of the founders of SAMA (South Atlantic Medal Association) and the author of "Jackspeak" and other books.
RIP Sir

RIP Sir. Love the Jackspeak books.

thomash123
13-01-18, 23:36
Only got respect for this man, again we lose someone who gave so much. RIP.

Richie
14-01-18, 09:36
A true officer and a gentleman he always had time for the lads and I’m sure he will be missed by everyone who knew him

wbf
14-01-18, 20:08
Rick Jolly was the Medical Officer when I was the Office Manager at Plymouth Royal Navy Recruiting Office between 2001-2004 and I was in contact with him every weekday. He was a true gentleman and great company. I will never forget the kindness he showed to me when my younger brother (ex RN) died age 50 suddenly in January 2004. I last saw Rick at at a WO1 RM retirement party in Guzz in 2007. To say I'm gutted is an understatement and he deserved much more than the OBE he was awarded. RIP Sir - you will be sadly missed.

loftysmudge
15-01-18, 09:32
Rick Jolly was the Medical Officer when I was the Office Manager at Plymouth Royal Navy Recruiting Office between 2001-2004 and I was in contact with him every weekday. He was a true gentleman and great company. I will never forget the kindness he showed to me when my younger brother (ex RN) died age 50 suddenly in January 2004. I last saw Rick at at a WO1 RM retirement party in Guzz in 2007. To say I'm gutted is an understatement and he deserved much more than the OBE he was awarded. RIP Sir - you will be sadly missed.

Lovely words Warwick, my brother, a POMA worked with him in the Falklands and he always spoke highly of him too.

Ianmac
25-01-18, 15:43
The funeral of Surg Capt Rick Jolly OBE will be held at HMS Raleigh at 1 pm on Saturday 10 February 2018.

wbf
11-02-18, 17:28
I had the honour and privilege to attend the funeral of Captain Rick Jolly at HMS Raleigh yesterday. The numbers were restricted to 550 people and it was a wonderful service and a fitting send-off to such a brilliant surgeon and wonderful person. Unfortunately the fly past afterwards was cancelled because of the bad weather. The young Raleigh trainees who acted as hosts, guides and all the other tasks required yesterday afternoon were a credit to the Royal Navy.

loftysmudge
11-02-18, 19:40
I had the honour and privilege to attend the funeral of Captain Rick Jolly at HMS Raleigh yesterday. The numbers were restricted to 550 people and it was a wonderful service and a fitting send-off to such a brilliant surgeon and wonderful person. Unfortunately the fly past afterwards was cancelled because of the bad weather. The young Raleigh trainees who acted as hosts, guides and all the other tasks required yesterday afternoon were a credit to the Royal Navy.

Wish I could have been there Warwick, and glad that Captain Jolly got a good send off.

loftysmudge
26-02-18, 15:33
I have just received the sad news that Shipmate Bill Brown one of our members at Bolton RNA has "Crossed the Bar". Bill was 92 and served in the RN as a "Bunting Tosser" on HMS Indomitable in WW2. Bill didn't talk much about the war but he was always proud to say that he was present at the signing of the Japanese surrender. He once showed me a photo of it and you can just make him out in the background. RIP Bill. watch done and I know you will be happy now to be back with your beloved Peggy.

Ianmac
26-02-18, 16:02
RIP Bill, may you find a safe anchorage........................4915

jacko
26-02-18, 17:20
RIP Bill watch done

thomash123
27-02-18, 00:18
RIP matey, thoughts are with your family and friends.

loftysmudge
13-03-18, 20:01
I have just received the sad news that Shipmate Bill Brown one of our members at Bolton RNA has "Crossed the Bar". Bill was 92 and served in the RN as a "Bunting Tosser" on HMS Indomitable in WW2. Bill didn't talk much about the war but he was always proud to say that he was present at the signing of the Japanese surrender. He once showed me a photo of it and you can just make him out in the background. RIP Bill. watch done and I know you will be happy now to be back with your beloved Peggy.

It was S/M Bill Browns funeral today, we gave him a good send off, Standard, Guard of honour etc, and, of course toasted his memory with "Nelson's Blood"

Richie
26-03-18, 09:08
Heard the sad news last night that my wingman from Illustrious 1998-2000 CPOMEM Gary TEX Houston crosssed the bar yesterday morning aged 53. His wife informed me that he had died from Lung Cancer even though he had never smoked a ciggy in his life. A self taught Russian Speaker from listening to BBC Radio Mosscow when he was a young lad and we had many tots of Smirnoff Blue in 6P Petty Officers Mess and Stoli on our many runs ashore. Tex started his career in Submarines then came to Lusty via Battleaxe. He got his Buttons on leaving Lusty and went on to be a Phase Two Instructor at Sultan. He was a great guitar player (self taught again) and his claim to fame was once walking along the sea front of his hometown in Fleetwood saw some folks busking, he joined in with them and they asked him to join their band for a studio session. The band were Fiddlers Dram and he played back up guitar on their original recording of Didnt We Have A Lovely Time The Day We Went To Bangor !!!!. Tex wasnt a great football fan but when we were in Barcelona I dragged him for a tour of the Camp Nou, which he was impressed with and enjoyed it immensley. On the way to the stadium i kept pointing out pictures, posters shirts etc of Rivaldo who was Barcas star man at the time, he even bought his wife Rach a Rivaldo shirt. Once we had done the stadium tour and used the last shot in my camera up of an old bus with wax models of famous footballers in it, Tex said can we go for Vodka and Paella now, ok i said but can we just walk round the the otherside of the ground so we can say we have circumanavigated it. As we were walking past a car park Tex pipes up "Theres Rivaldo "!!!!! and sure as sure he was putting some kit in the boot of his car, I was gutted I had used the last snap on a bloody waxwork model of Bobby Charlton, Happy Days, Great Memories Im sure gonna miss the crazy fella.

Ianmac
26-03-18, 09:22
Sad news Richie
RIP Tex.............4924

loftysmudge
26-03-18, 15:10
Seemed like he was a great guy Richie, RIP Tex, watch done.

Simon
26-03-18, 22:06
That's a shame Richie. Good memories.

jacko
27-03-18, 00:29
RIP TEX watch done

Richie
23-04-18, 21:23
Ive a day off tomorrow to go down to Portchester to send Tex off on his final draft, Ive managed to get a standard bearer from Pompey RNA to attend and send him off in the fine way he deserves, Its going to be a very sad day for me

loftysmudge
24-04-18, 11:59
Glad you got a Standard Bearer for him Richie, I'm sure his family will appreciate that.

loftysmudge
02-05-18, 08:35
Went to the Requiem Mass for one of our Bolton RNA members yesterday, Phil Turner. Phil was ex RAF and served as a navigator on Lancasters during WW2, he was 94. His wife Kay was Naval nurse during the war and that is how they met. He was lovely man and will be much missed by family and friends.

RIP Phil and hope you find calm air and smooth flying.

Ianmac
02-05-18, 08:48
Alas, now very few of those brave WWII heroes left who gave so much for the freedom we enjoy.

RIP Phil.................. 4938

belgique
02-05-18, 09:51
I see Dame Vera Lynn has been awarded a classic musical award,she was given the war medal and Burma star for services during ww2.I suppose she will classified as one of the few,and well deserved.

loftysmudge
02-05-18, 10:41
Absolutely well deserved

jacko
02-05-18, 15:46
Alas, now very few of those brave WWII heroes left who gave so much for the freedom we enjoy.

RIP Phil.................. 4938
RIP Phil we owe so much to that generation .

Richie
29-05-18, 16:09
Just heard that Admiral Jim as he was affectionaly known, crossed the bar on 17 May 2018. One of the first Admirals I met when I was Ships Coy at Raleigh in 79, think he was Cinc Fleet and he came down to do a passing out parade. Another Gentleman gone. RIP Sir

Ianmac
29-05-18, 17:50
Just heard that Admiral Jim as he was affectionaly known, crossed the bar on 17 May 2018. One of the first Admirals I met when I was Ships Coy at Raleigh in 79, think he was Cinc Fleet and he came down to do a passing out parade. Another Gentleman gone. RIP SirNever served with Admiral Jim Eberle but attended a few events/dinners when he was CinCFleet/CinCNavhome retiring in 1983 and he seemed very personable and was well thought of by his various staffs etc. I served with his son Peter who retired as a Commodore in 2005.

RIP Sir.............4942

loftysmudge
30-05-18, 08:53
Never served with you Sir, RIP.

Ianmac
29-08-18, 09:24
A D-Day veteran who survived the World War II Battle of Dunkirk died in Calgary on 26 Aug.
Ninety-eight-year-old Ken Sturdy became well-known after being featured on Global News attending the Dunkirk movie premiere in 2017.
He became emotional watching the film, describing it as a very real depiction of what happened in that 1940 battle when he was a 20-year-old signalman with the Royal Canadian Navy.

RIP Ken, may you find a safe anchorage.

loftysmudge
29-08-18, 10:37
RIP Ken, one of the finest.

jacko
29-08-18, 16:08
RIP Ken , and thanks Ian for putting this on .

Richie
22-09-18, 10:19
http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad146/ajaxrichie/rmband_zps42sleqoq.jpg (http://s930.photobucket.com/user/ajaxrichie/media/rmband_zps42sleqoq.jpg.html)

loftysmudge
22-09-18, 14:36
RIP Royals, never forgotten.

Ianmac
22-09-18, 16:02
RIP Bandies........4956
No one has ever been arrested or convicted in connection with the Deal bombing.

Richie
19-10-18, 08:22
Sad to hear the news that my old oppo crossed the bar Wednesday night in the Rowans Hospice in pompey. He was diagnosed stage 4 cancer just over 2 years ago and was given 8 weeks to live. He made fame by being known as the Pompey Pirate by going to chemo dressed as a pirate. He became a bit of a celebrity at Fratton Park leading the team out and placing a wreath on poppy day last year on tbe pitch at blackpool on behalf of portsmouth fc. I worked with craig at Raleigh 79 to 80 and that was the last i saw of him till last year when we met at salisbury v pompey pre season match. He was on the sheffield when she was sunk in tbe falklands and also on tbe tube when the bomb went off in london, just heard pompey supporters are giving one final chant of One Pompey Pirate at saturdays game in tbe 17th minute, 17th being tbe date he crossed the bar. Rest in peace craig your duty is done

Ianmac
19-10-18, 09:07
RIP Craig........4976

https://ultraimg.com/images/2018/10/19/ORTe.jpg

loftysmudge
19-10-18, 15:52
Sad to hear the news that my old oppo crossed the bar Wednesday night in the Rowans Hospice in pompey. He was diagnosed stage 4 cancer just over 2 years ago and was given 8 weeks to live. He made fame by being known as the Pompey Pirate by going to chemo dressed as a pirate. He became a bit of a celebrity at Fratton Park leading the team out and placing a wreath on poppy day last year on tbe pitch at blackpool on behalf of portsmouth fc. I worked with craig at Raleigh 79 to 80 and that was the last i saw of him till last year when we met at salisbury v pompey pre season match. He was on the sheffield when she was sunk in tbe falklands and also on tbe tube when the bomb went off in london, just heard pompey supporters are giving one final chant of One Pompey Pirate at saturdays game in tbe 17th minute, 17th being tbe date he crossed the bar. Rest in peace craig your duty is done

Well said Richie.

loftysmudge
19-10-18, 15:53
RIP Craig........4976

https://ultraimg.com/images/2018/10/19/ORTe.jpg

Appropriate game to do that too Ian. RIP Craig.

jacko
19-10-18, 16:47
RIP Craig. Watch done.

bonzo
19-10-18, 18:15
Nice tribute Richie. Sad news RIP

Simon
19-10-18, 18:56
That's a shame. Sounds like he was a great character . RIP.

loftysmudge
06-06-19, 09:00
Sad to report that S/M Geoff Fleming a member of Bolton RNA crossed the bar yesterday, Geoff was a Mechanician in the RN in the 60s and 70s and one of his ships was the Belfast which has featured on the BBC this morning. RIP Shipmate watch done. We will miss you and your very dry sense of humour.

jacko
06-06-19, 14:54
RIP Geoff, Watch done.

thomash123
07-06-19, 18:56
Very sad indeed.rip

loftysmudge
16-06-19, 19:22
Sad to report that S/M Geoff Fleming a member of Bolton RNA crossed the bar yesterday, Geoff was a Mechanician in the RN in the 60s and 70s and one of his ships was the Belfast which has featured on the BBC this morning. RIP Shipmate watch done. We will miss you and your very dry sense of humour.

It's Geoff's funeral on the 21/6/19, we are giving him a good send off, Standard, Guard of Honour etc.

loftysmudge
21-06-19, 18:51
It's Geoff's funeral on the 21/6/19, we are giving him a good send off, Standard, Guard of Honour etc.

RIP Geoff, find calm seas and fair winds.

Ianmac
01-01-20, 12:59
Very sorry to hear that my old Skipper from HMS Birmingham Sir John Kerr 'crossed the bar' on the 2nd Dec 2019 aged 82, he was an excellent Captain who was pleasure to serve under, it was no surprise to anyone who knew him that he went to the top of the tree.

Admiral Sir John Kerr GCB DL died peacefully at Cartmel Grange (https://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/grange/) Nursing Home after a period of declining health.
Born in 1937 in Sale, Cheshire, the son of a cotton mill manager, and attending the local grammar school, he set his heart on going to sea at a young age and joined the Navy aged 16.
After passing out of naval college at Dartmouth as top of his year with multiple awards, his career followed a swift upward trajectory.
By the age of 34 he was commanding his first large ship, the frigate HMS Achilles.
He later commanded other ships and flotillas, including the Type 42 Destroyer HMS Birmingham and most notably HMS Illustrious, at the time the newest aircraft carrier in the fleet, and was heavily involved in the various Gulf conflicts.
Strong willed, with a razor-sharp intellect and an independent streak but always humble, Sir John took quiet satisfaction in his achievements.
He especially loved to break expectations, and notably sailed HMS Illustrious under the road and rail bridges of the Firth of Forth after being told it could not be done.
It was the first time for a ship of this size, needing exactly the right timing of the tide to ensure one metre clearance beneath the keel and one metre above the top of the mast for the ship to fit under the bridge.
Sir John's senior roles in the navy included being Flag Officer, Flotilla One in charge of taking the leading flotilla of naval ships around the world, chief of defence intelligence and vice chair of the Government’s Joint Intelligence Committee, which brought together the Heads of MI6, MI5 etc in the late 1980s/early 1990s, dealing with the break-up of the Soviet Union and the first Gulf War.
Later in his career, he was Commander in Chief Naval Home Command, in charge of naval bases, training establishments, and reserves.
After retiring from the navy, he took on leadership roles with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, Lancaster and Manchester Universities, the Lake District National Park Authority and the Bett Review, which reshaped the Armed Forces.
His family said his roles in both the Navy and, later, in civilian life showed his reforming zeal and his drive to challenge the status quo.
From his early days, he loved exploring the hills of North West England, and it was through his love of sailing that he met his wife Anne Kerr, with whom he had three sons.
The couple settled near Kirkby Lonsdale and spent the remaining 25 years of their life there and his final wish was to be buried in the town.

RIP Sir.
5058.............................................. ...............5059

Richie
01-01-20, 14:08
Sad news I was POSTD of the SOM when he was Cincnavhome. Had many a great lamp swinging session with him in the Green Parrot the staff bar at Admiralty House on a Friday Afternoon. Will always be remembered for his wife Anne, great name for an Admirals Wife Anne Kerr and his black lab Bosun complete with ID card attached to his collar.

RIP Sir

loftysmudge
02-01-20, 11:56
RIP Sir. Our paths never crossed in the RN.

thomash123
03-01-20, 22:56
Very sad indeed. RIP