PDA

View Full Version : Donald (Stacks) Plenty

Ianmac
31-05-16, 19:21
We have been informed by his son Toby that Donald (Stacks) Plenty 'crossed the bar' on the 28th May 2016, aged just 60 after a short illness. He served onboard Lowie as an AB Gunner during 1975-1977 and many of our members knew him well and kept in touch by visiting him from time to time.
Stacks who lived in Wells, Somerset suffered a major stroke in 2015 which rendered him needing 24 hour care.
His son says he was a 'free spirit' and until he fell ill was always happy as long as he had someone to share a drink with and discuss the issues of the day.

The cremation will be on the 10 June 2016 at Mendip crematorium at 1500.

RIP Stacks.

Richie
31-05-16, 20:12
Sleep tight Stacks
Watch done rest in peace

lesj
31-05-16, 20:47
I remember "Stacks". Sorry to hear this news

Johno Johnson
31-05-16, 21:52
Condolences to all Donald "Stacks" Plenty's Family.

So sad to have heard of his passing. All round good egg and shipmate.

Was hoping to get him to a reunion one day in the future.

Hopefully, Resting In Peace with all other good ex matelots.

Harvey

jacko
01-06-16, 15:14
Rest in peace Stacks, I remember you well, a great shipmate

bonzo
01-06-16, 17:12
Sad news today. I remember Stacks. Good bloke, one of my 'boys'. Great shame he never made it to see us all at a reunion. RIP.

Sandy Sanders
01-06-16, 19:59
Sad news about our old oppo, Stacks Plenty.
He really did know how to live life to the full.
He was game for anything, and he was always happy.
Rest in peace Stacks.
low-

Chas
02-06-16, 16:02
So very sad. I remember Stacks well, he was one of the nicest blokes aboard the Lowie.
As Bonzo says, it's a great shame he never made it to the reunion.
RIP Stacks.

Sandy Sanders
02-06-16, 20:00
Toby, Stack's son has been in touch and confirmed the funeral date as the 10-06-2016 at 15:00 at the Mendip Crematorium.
He also really appreciates everyone's kind words, and said his dad would have liked all of your kind comments.
Sandy

sabie
03-06-16, 00:01
Thanks for that Sandy, I know you kept in touch with Stacks and visited him on numerous occasions and tried hard to get him to come to our reunions not only with your support also financial support.
A big thank you from the Association and it’s much appreciated.

Rest in peace Stacks, always remembered as an ex Lowie.

Sandy Sanders
03-06-16, 18:19
Who remembers the song Brothers in arms, by Dire Straights?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j62MZSaLRLw

Richie
03-06-16, 20:04

Great song Sandy, infact everything by dire straits was good

Simon
04-06-16, 01:18
I'm a big fan of Dire Straits as well and that song is very poignant at times.
I don't think I met Stacks back then, but it's very sad to hear of his passing.
R.I.P

thomash123
06-06-16, 20:37
Very sad news indeed.

It would have been great to meet up with him at a reunion but sadly it was not to be.
Regards to all his family.
RIP

loftysmudge
07-06-16, 09:07
I didn't know "Stacks" but from all the posts on here he was a great bloke and a good "oppo" to a lot of ex Lowies.

RIP Shippers.

loftysmudge
07-06-16, 09:14
Great song Sandy, infact everything by dire straits was good

Agreed Richie, a brilliant band, wasn't Brothers in Arms the title track of the album. We have got Alchemy on CD, another brilliant DS album.

loftysmudge
07-06-16, 09:16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j62MZSaLRLw

Reckon that song would be a fitting epitaph for any of us ex servicemen.

IFG
10-06-16, 14:18
We have been informed by his son Toby that Donald (Stacks) Plenty 'crossed the bar' on the 28th May 2016, aged just 60 after a short illness. He served onboard Lowie as an AB Gunner during 1975-1977 and many of our members knew him well and kept in touch by visiting him from time to time.
Stacks who lived in Wells, Somerset suffered a major stroke in 2015 which rendered him needing 24 hour care.
His son says he was a 'free spirit' and until he fell ill was always happy as long as he had someone to share a drink with and discuss the issues of the day.

The cremation will be on the 10 June 2016 at Mendip crematorium at 1500.

RIP Stacks.

RIP Shipmate.

Ianmac
10-06-16, 17:48
Sandy & Jacqui Sanders, Johno Johnson and myself attended Stack's cremation this afternoon at the Mendip Crematorium, nr Wells, Somerset.
We were made very welcome by his son Toby and he got a good send off on his final draft.
RIP

loftysmudge
10-06-16, 18:39
Sandy & Jacqui Sanders, Johno Johnson and myself attended Stack's cremation this afternoon at the Mendip Crematorium, nr Wells, Somerset.
We were made very welcome by his son Toby and he got a good send off on his final draft.
RIP

Good that someone was able to go and represent the Association at the funeral.

thomash123
10-06-16, 20:58
Thank you all for attending.

Sandy Sanders
12-06-16, 19:31
Toby, Stack's Plenty's son, Helen his mum, and his sister, really do appreciate everyone's kind thoughts and comments on here.
Toby & his Family really did appreciate Ianmac & Johnno Johnson being there, when he needed all the support he could get.
Their presence and the HMS Lowestoft Association they represent, meant a lot to him.
Wells is a very small place, and it seems he was a very well known, and well liked friend, to all who knew him.
He passed the bar to the sounds of Plink Floyd, one of his favorite bands.
At the Rose & Crown, Stack's local pub. The landlord and their staff helped Toby and his family give Stacks a very memorable send off.
A last great run ashore in his memory.
The Landlord, was a very generous man, who knew Stacks well and stocks Pussers Rum too, an excellent host.
Jacquie & I will miss Stack's, but will try to keep in touch with Toby & his family.
Kindest Regards to you all.
Sandy.
low-

loftysmudge
13-06-16, 11:40
Toby, Stack's Plenty's son, Helen his mum, and his sister, really do appreciate everyone's kind thoughts and comments on here.
Toby & his Family really did appreciate Ianmac & Johnno Johnson being there, when he needed all the support he could get.
Their presence and the HMS Lowestoft Association they represent, meant a lot to him.
Wells is a very small place, and it seems he was a very well known, and well liked friend, to all who knew him.
He passed the bar to the sounds of Plink Floyd, one of his favorite bands.
At the Rose & Crown, Stack's local pub. The landlord and their staff helped Toby and his family give Stacks a very memorable send off.
A last great run ashore in his memory.
The Landlord, was a very generous man, who knew Stacks well and stocks Pussers Rum too, an excellent host.
Jacquie & I will miss Stack's, but will try to keep in touch with Toby & his family.
Kindest Regards to you all.
Sandy.
low-

Cheers for that Sandy, it was great that some members of the Lowie Association were able to attend the funeral and give him the good send off you described.

bonzo
13-06-16, 19:13
I endorse all said so far. If I had not been on a prebooked holiday last week I would have gone down to pay my respects and partake of some of the rum mentioned no doubt. Well done all for representing us.