PDA

View Full Version : Dave Ashwell

Ianmac
13-10-16, 09:53
We have been informed by his stepson that Dave Ashwell 'crossed the bar' on Mon 10th October 2016 at his home in Kent, aged 76.
Dave served onboard Lowestoft from Sep 1980 - Sep 1982 as the CMEM(M) [Chief Stoker] and only recently joined the Association.
If any of his old shipmates wish to attend his funeral it will be at 1300 on October 31st at the Garden of England Crematorium
which is in Sheppy Way, Sittingbourne, Kent ME9 8GZ

Richie
13-10-16, 18:03
Remember him from my time in the old gal, RIP Sailor

loftysmudge
13-10-16, 19:16
RIP Chief.

Tony
14-10-16, 11:02
It is fair to say I was Dave's number one. I looked after his lads as Killick of the mess and I looked after his department as his Tanky. As an ex-writer I did all his reports, all his typing, watch reports, end of year appraisals and duty rota's. There was a mutual respect that got me out of the shit a few times and I like to think I made his life easier. Dave was not liberal with his praise but spending some 60 hours together a week you learnt through his mannerisms and voice tone when he was pleased and pissed.
When I was clearing paperwork in the office one day I was ditching the year before calendar and moving important dates to the new one when I noticed a scribbled star on dozens of dates. I asked what they were and do they need transferring? It turns out those dates where when the Stokers mess won the Cake for rounds. It was a turning point in realising the pride he had in his lads and that he did care even if he did not say so. He was caught off guard once when we were doing probably close to our 30th RAS together and the skipper asked us to get as much fuel in as we could. The team managed 97% which was only ever achieved in harbour and unheard of at sea on a rolling ship. He was over the moon and so elated people were starting to look at him whilst we shook hands and did lots of grinning and self praise in the main drag. So many memories of a larger than life character, I loved the old sod

loftysmudge
14-10-16, 14:31
It is fair to say I was Dave's number one. I looked after his lads as Killick of the mess and I looked after his department as his Tanky. As an ex-writer I did all his reports, all his typing, watch reports, end of year appraisals and duty rota's. There was a mutual respect that got me out of the shit a few times and I like to think I made his life easier. Dave was not liberal with his praise but spending some 60 hours together a week you learnt through his mannerisms and voice tone when he was pleased and pissed.
When I was clearing paperwork in the office one day I was ditching the year before calendar and moving important dates to the new one when I noticed a scribbled star on dozens of dates. I asked what they were and do they need transferring? It turns out those dates where when the Stokers mess won the Cake for rounds. It was a turning point in realising the pride he had in his lads and that he did care even if he did not say so. He was caught off guard once when we were doing probably close to our 30th RAS together and the skipper asked us to get as much fuel in as we could. The team managed 97% which was only ever achieved in harbour and unheard of at sea on a rolling ship. He was over the moon and so elated people were starting to look at him whilst we shook hands and did lots of grinning and self praise in the main drag. So many memories of a larger than life character, I loved the old sod

A brilliant testimony Tony, would have loved to have met him.

thomash123
26-10-16, 19:56
I did not know you but regards to your family and rip.

Ianmac
01-11-16, 18:46
The following has been received from Dave's stepson regarding his funeral:-

I think Dave would have been proud, he had his own bespoke coffin with pictures of all the ships he served on and we also had an ex Army warrant officer play the last post. I got in touch with him through the Royal British legion and also the RNA organised a standard bearer which was a nice touch.
He also had a large gathering of about 80 people and it all went very well (all but the humanist taking the service couldn't pronounce HMS Scylla and Bacchante ) but not being a naval man I forgive him for that and don't worry he said Lowestoft perfectly!!
I also had him read out Dave's tributes and forwarded the one that Tony wrote 'My pal so sad'.
So it all went as well as could be expected and thank you so much for keeping me in touch with any developments I've really appreciated it.