PDA

View Full Version : Cdr John Mankerty OBE

Ianmac
09-11-18, 16:31
It is with great sadness that I inform you all that Cdr John Mankerty suddenly 'crossed the bar' on the 8th of November 2018 after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last Saturday 3rd Nov. He was aged 83.
John joined our Association at its beginning and he and his dear wife Julie attended every reunion and gave their kind support to the association.
John joined the RN in 1952 as a Boy Seaman and in 1961 Qualified as POGI, in 1964 he was promoted S/lt SD (g), in 1967 Lt SD (G), in 1971 Lt Cdr and was the XO of HMS Jaguar in 1971/2.
He was promoted to Cdr in 1978 and in 1987 Awarded the OBE.
He retired from the RN in 1988.
He was crash drafted to Lowestoft in 1965 to cover work up at Portland as the ship's Master Gunner was taken ill.
A stalwart of the GI's Association he served two terms as their President.

It was a great privilege and pleasure to have known John who also supported many RN related charities. He will be sorely missed by many.

RIP John........4982.......................4983

Richie
09-11-18, 17:49
Such sad news and a genuine lovely gentleman. Proud to have known him through the Lowie Association. As you said Ian he was an ever present at the Reunions and I dont think he missed a Jolly Boys run ashore in the UJC, where he always bought the wine for dinner. Sleep tight Sir you will be much missed by all

bonzo
09-11-18, 19:02
Oh what really sad news. I was only talking to him a few weeks ago at the reunion. Such a great and friendly chap who, as Richie says always bought the wine at the UJC jolly boys do every year. Very bad news today RIP.

wbf
09-11-18, 19:16
What very sad news. He gave a lovely briefing about HMS Excellent/Whale Island when we visited there on the Sunday of the recent Lowie reunion. RIP Sir.

jimdavis
09-11-18, 20:32
What bitter news that he's gone.
John epitomised the difference between the RN and all the rest. Matchless competence along with an ability to inspire confidence, combined with a quiet but ready wit made him a natural leader of men. A man happy to lead by example. All qualities that are in short supply these days and characterising the enormous resource in depth of manpower that the Navy has enjoyed for hundreds of years and put the Great in Britain.
The powerful great and the good, no matter how exalted or talented can only at the end of the day, propose a course of action. It was the John Mankerty's of our world, that disposed - made them happen. Able to organise resources and inspire men with the minimum of fuss, mostly out of the limelight, he and people like him made the crucial difference that would make all things possible.
A great Seaman 'Gunner' he was also a true gentleman. It was a privilege to have known him.

bonzo
09-11-18, 20:42
What bitter news that he's gone.
John epitomised the difference between the RN and all the rest. Matchless competence along with an ability to inspire confidence, combined with a quiet but ready wit made him a natural leader of men. A man happy to lead by example. All qualities that are in short supply these days and characterising the enormous resource in depth of manpower that the Navy has enjoyed for hundreds of years and put the Great in Britain.
The powerful great and the good, no matter how exalted or talented can only at the end of the day, propose a course of action. It was the John Mankerty's of our world, that disposed - made them happen. Able to organise resources and inspire men with the minimum of fuss, mostly out of the limelight, he and people like him made the crucial difference that would make all things possible.
A great seaman and 'Guns' he was also a true gentleman. It was a privilege to know him.

A great summing up there Jim. Very well said.

loftysmudge
09-11-18, 21:08
Very sad news news indeed, John was a lovely man and I always liked talking to him at the reunions. RIP Sir you will be much missed.

thomash123
14-11-18, 00:34
Very sad to hear indeed. rip

Ianmac
14-11-18, 18:53
Details for John's funeral are as follows, Lowie's able to attend will be very welcome:

Tuesday 27th November

13:00 : SERVICE. Our Lady of the Angels Catholic Church, Bexley Rd, Erith DA8 1DN

14:45 : CREMATION. Eltham, Crematorium Crown Woods Way, London SE9 2AZ

16:00 : RECEPTION. Hall place, Bourne Rd, Dartford, Bexley DA5 1PQ

Family flowers only please, donations if wished to Macmillan

Johno Johnson
14-11-18, 23:27
A sad loss indeed. RIP

jimdavis
27-11-18, 22:01
Went to the service today for John. Must have been at least 180 there to say goodbye to him.
Not surprising that such a fine man touched the lives of so many.
Simple but moving service, with familiar beautiful hymns, beautifully sung with choir and organ. Last Post/Reveille perfectly delivered by RM Bandsman.
Emotional readings by his two daughters and son.

Lucky to be close enough to be able to attend. Glad I went.
RIP John.

Ianmac
27-11-18, 22:39
Thanks for attending Jim on behalf of the Association.
Glad John had a fitting send off for a man who loved the RN and was so well respected.
RIP

loftysmudge
28-11-18, 09:57
Went to the service today for John. Must have been at least 180 there to say goodbye to him.
Not surprising that such a fine man touched the lives of so many.
Simple but moving service, with familiar beautiful hymns, beautifully sung with choir and organ. Last Post/Reveille perfectly delivered by RM Bandsman.
Emotional readings by his two daughters and son.

Lucky to be close enough to be able to attend. Glad I went.
RIP John.

Good that someone from the Association went Jim, he was much respected and a lovely man. RIP John.

Richie
28-11-18, 13:27
BZ Jim, he will be much missed

Ianmac
28-11-18, 14:10
Ron Hale also managed to attend the service for John and has kindly sent me the 'Service Sheet' below

https://ultraimg.com/images/2018/11/28/PeZA.jpg
https://ultraimg.com/images/2018/11/28/PeZD.jpg

loftysmudge
28-11-18, 14:44
A great tribute.

jimdavis
28-11-18, 14:57
While waiting for those taking communion to get weighed off, I looked through the hymn book and was astonished at just how many I knew.
All without anything but the vaguest notion of how I had learnt them. Probably, these had been ingested from the age of five, taught by a teacher on a piano from the corner of a classroom, by rote, line by line.
The result being, that I know, most by heart, perhaps 25 or 30 (at least). All just beautiful.
It has just occurred to me in the context of recent exchanges with Bob, how important an influence this has been on my life.
First, the actual experience, the act of singing - making music together, is marvelously cohesive, cooperative and satisfying, as well as character building experience, for the young.
Secondly it has provided for a love of music (I have very 'catholic' tastes) that has lasted all my life.
And last and perhaps not least, it has been proved that music acts upon the same part of the brain responsible for mathematics and calculus. Improving and building ability.
I feel sorry for generations since, for whom time was no longer found for such things.
For that learning experience alone, faith school education was/is worth every penny.

Sandy Sanders
04-12-18, 18:27
I can only join with you all in sadness at the news, & agree with everything that has been said here. It was great that his life is celebrated, as he has lived life to the full. I must say that John was such a lovely man who I would always look forwards to seeing at the UJC or the reunions, my wife & I both will miss him greatly. I think that JimDavis has captured the essence of the man amazingly well. I wish he had been my Oppo, or D.O. when I served. Sleep well John.
Sandy & Jacquie Sanders.

Richie
04-12-18, 23:19
Thats real nice words Sandy

Ianmac
28-02-19, 14:38
The following message has been received from Julie Mankerty (John's wife).
If you are able to go along please let me know and I will pass your details to Julie.

I am writing now to say that we are burying John's Ashes in the rosebed outside the GI's Clubhouse on Whale Island on Saturday 6th April, around mid-day. We would welcome any friends who would like to come, but could they please let me know for security, also catering requirements.