PDA

View Full Version : John Lynas [The Red Baron]

Ianmac
14-01-19, 12:07
It is with much regret I have to inform you that John Lynas [The Red Baron] 'crossed the bar' on the 7th Jan 2019 aged 83.
John was an SD TAS Officer who was promoted S/Lt (SD)(tas) in 1963 and retired as a Lt Cdr (TAS) in 1987. He served twice in Lowestoft firstly as the TASO in 1970-1972 and then as the 1st Lt during 1980-1981.
He also served as a TASO in HM Ships Murray, Torquay and Apollo.
John very much enjoyed attending our reunions at Southsea as he lived in Cowplain and had been limited to local travel for a number of years. He attended our Oct 2018 reunion and loved meeting again the many who had served with him in Lowestoft which brought back many great memories.
He was a great character known throughout the RN as "The Red Baron" due to his ginger hair and beard, he was our 'Old Navy' who swore like most matelot's and didn't suffer fools gladly but always had the respect of his men.
He will be sorely missed and we will raise our glasses to him at our next reunion..

RIP John, it was a pleasure and honour to have known you.

Richie
14-01-19, 12:34
Totally Gutted, the man was an icon in my career. Only spoke to him in October and he sent me three letters telling me about his career. Watch Done Sir

wbf
14-01-19, 12:51
Very sad indeed. I'm so glad I managed to have a chat with him and a few of his lads at the last Lowie reunion. He was one hell of a character and my DO from 1969-71. You knew where you stood with him and would back you to the hilt when necessary and come down on you like a ton of bricks if you deserved it. RIP Sir.

loftysmudge
14-01-19, 15:00
Didn't serve with him, but met him at the reunions. RIP Sir.

jacko
15-01-19, 05:19
RIP sir watch done

jimbob
15-01-19, 21:40
Met him several times at our reunions,never served with him,but hey he was of us,Bon voyage sir, until we meet again

Richie
17-01-19, 22:13
John's Funeral will be a short private family only event.

thomash123
19-01-19, 00:18
Very sad news indeed. RIP

ozzy103
31-01-19, 12:58
This dit I have told before but I am saddened by the passing of the Red Baron so I will tell it again in his memory.
I was PO of the watch on deck during the morning watch. The Bridge messenger skids into the Dining hall shouting to me " the OOW wants you on the Bridge at the double" Along the main drag up to the Ops room flat when John Lynas slides down the Bridge ladder shouting "I have the shits you have the ship" Up I go and pretend that this is normal. I check the radar, look out of the Bridge windows and ignore the Bridge messenger grinning in the corner. After about 3 minutes John Lynas reappeared saying "don't go far" I often wondered if a Dartmouth Officer might have said "I say I have diarrhoea would you mind standing my watch for a minute?" Somehow the snappy I have the shits you have the ship was John Lynas to a t. R.I.P Sir.

loftysmudge
31-01-19, 16:24
This dit I have told before but I am saddened by the passing of the Red Baron so I will tell it again in his memory.
I was PO of the watch on deck during the morning watch. The Bridge messenger skids into the Dining hall shouting to me " the OOW wants you on the Bridge at the double" Along the main drag up to the Ops room flat when John Lynas slides down the Bridge ladder shouting "I have the shits you have the ship" Up I go and pretend that this is normal. I check the radar, look out of the Bridge windows and ignore the Bridge messenger grinning in the corner. After about 3 minutes John Lynas reappeared saying "don't go far" I often wondered if a Dartmouth Officer might have said "I say I have diarrhoea would you mind standing my watch for a minute?" Somehow the snappy I have the shits you have the ship was John Lynas to a t. R.I.P Sir.

Great dit Ozzy.

Kevin Barry
31-01-19, 18:20
THAT, is very, very sad indeed.
Hard, but, fair man.
God Bless him and may we meet at Fiddler's Green once again

Steve Heggie
13-02-19, 18:18
The Red Baron was my Jimmy 80 - 81 then I caught him up in 82 at FO Portsmouth where he was AQHM. When I was president of the for'd PO's mess and a knock at the door in the afternoon would reveal the Baron with four pint pots in his hand which required filling. When replying the bar was locked we were told in no uncertain terms he knew we had a key and to get on and fill the f...ing glasses. Another memory is standing in for the pusser at requestmen when a caterer (name Kev I think) appeared for his hook. When asked by the CO for any comments the Baron replied "probably make a good killick but needs to come out of his shell, needs a good woman to give him a good f...!" What can you say to that? Jimmy Chestnutt was speechless! The man was a character, someone who will probably never be replicated.

Steve Heggie

Richie
13-02-19, 20:02
The Red Baron was my Jimmy 80 - 81 then I caught him up in 82 at FO Portsmouth where he was AQHM. When I was president of the for'd PO's mess and a knock at the door in the afternoon would reveal the Baron with four pint pots in his hand which required filling. When replying the bar was locked we were told in no uncertain terms he knew we had a key and to get on and fill the f...ing glasses. Another memory is standing in for the pusser at requestmen when a caterer (name Kev I think) appeared for his hook. When asked by the CO for any comments the Baron replied "probably make a good killick but needs to come out of his shell, needs a good woman to give him a good f...!" What can you say to that? Jimmy Chestnutt was speechless! The man was a character, someone who will probably never be replicated.Steve Heggie

Remember that Steve, the chap in question was LCA Kev Cox, owned a light blue Triumph Spitfire, was with him the night we were returning onboard and the front axle fell off as we rounded the roundabout at the end of Comical Road !!! Didnt realise you were Mess Prez of the Fwd POs mess, it was my action station and Jack Frost always used to appear with the key and fed us CSB troughout Action Stations !!!!!

Bob Knott
23-02-19, 23:30
So saddened to hear of the passing of one the best 'characters', the Red Baron", that I had the good fortune to serve with.
A larger than life 'legend'; with his booming voice and flaming orange beard!!
Who could deny being somewhat intimidated by him when first encountered...?
However, he was a gentleman and had a great sense of duty and what was "right".
My own 'dit' about the Red Baron? (and there are many!)…. I was on the Lowie from 79-82, as a lowly LSA, but.... I knew how to play Eucre!
The Red Baron found out and immediately detailed me off to be his partner in the "Inter Mess" games, that took place on patrol; apparently none of the "Wardrobe" knew how to play!!
Often the hatch coming would be flung up and "Knotty get up here" and I was duly summoned to go play as his partner wherever... and wouldn't you know it ...we actually won the Lowestoft Eucre competition that trip!!
I still have the little plaque trophy somewhere.
Sir, it was a priviledge to serve with you, RIP. with respect Bob Knott

Wilf Pickles
26-02-19, 23:24
John was a no frills Naval officer, said it the way it was in his own colourful way. I was in the aft PO's mess (1979-81) which he often made a visit (not always a social visit).
I had a lengthy chat with him in October. He hadn't changed much
still a straight talker it was a pleasure for me to have that opportunity to spend some time with him. RIP John the one and only Red Baron.

Richie
27-02-19, 00:45
John was a no frills Naval officer, said it the way it was in his own colourful way. I was in the aft PO's mess (1979-81) which he often made a visit (not always a social visit).
I had a lengthy chat with him in October. He hadn't changed much
still a straight talker it was a pleasure for me to have that opportunity to spend some time with him. RIP John the one and only Red Baron.Nice tribute Wilf, hope you can make it this October, hopefully a big S&S contingent coming this year