PDA

View Full Version : Peter Arthur Gearing

Ianmac
07-06-22, 20:24
We have been informed that Peter Gearing who served as an ERA in Lowestoft 'crossed the bar' on the 28th of May 2022 at the age of 82 in Florida USA.
Pete joined the RN as an Articifer Apprentice in 1955 and served in HMS Forth, Hermes and Lowestoft before joining submarines where he served in Odin, Osiris and Superb retiring from the RN in 1988 and settling in the USA.

loftysmudge
08-06-22, 08:59
We have been informed that Peter Gearing who served as an ERA in Lowestoft 'crossed the bar' on the 28th of May 2022 at the age of 82 in Florida USA.
Pete joined the RN as an Articifer Apprentice in 1955 and served in HMS Forth, Hermes and Lowestoft before joining submarines where he served in Odin, Osiris and Superb retiring from the RN in 1988 and settling in the USA.

Sorry to hear that news Ian,do you know which commission he was on the Lowie, his name sounds familiar to me.

RIP Peter.

Ianmac
08-06-22, 10:02
Sorry to hear that news Ian,do you know which commission he was on the Lowie, his name sounds familiar to me. RIP Peter.
I haven't got the dates Peter served in Lowestoft but by deduction I would make it during the 60's so he may have been onboard during your time as an ERA. (I can't find his name on any of the commissioning booklets we have, but he could easily have joined mid-commission therefore not appear on the crew lists)

loftysmudge
08-06-22, 16:35
I haven't got the dates Peter served in Lowestoft but by deduction I would make it during the 60's so he may have been onboard during your time as an ERA. (I can't find his name on any of the commissioning booklets we have, but he could easily have joined mid-commission therefore not appear on the crew lists)

Thanks Ian, I served with him somewhere but can't remember where.

revbluejeans
04-07-22, 12:00
Funnily enough when I read of his death in the latest Lowdown I thought the same, that his name was familiar. So he may very well have been onboard during our time Lofty.

loftysmudge
04-07-22, 13:54
Funnily enough when I read of his death in the latest Lowdown I thought the same, that his name was familiar. So he may very well have been onboard during our time Lofty.

It was either on the Lowestoft or he was one of my instructor's at Sultan in the late '60s, for the life of me I can't remember.