PDA

View Full Version : Gavin Rodgers

Ianmac
22-07-12, 10:23
We have been informed that Gavin Rodgers "Crossed the Bar" in 1990, he served onboard as a PO Steward during the 1978/81 period

Richie
22-07-12, 12:55
Gavin was a larger than life character, large beer belly balding and a ginger beard. A very fair man who had respect from all the Officers on Lowie and the Crew (would you expect anything else from the Ships Company of the F103) Always used to like it when he was Duty Petty Officer as knocking on the Aft PO's Mess to hand your station card in when dressed as a punk was always a little easier when he was in charge. One funny moment that will always stick in my mind with Gavin, was during testing the emergency escape hatch in the wardroom deck one day Gavin almost got stuck, he was perched between decks looking like a boiled egg in an egg cup. I last saw Gavin in @1983 when he was in St Barts Hospital in London and although he had lost a lot of weight through his illness he was still as bright and chirpy as ever. The man who guided me through my first proper sea draft will be missed but boy that fine Petty officer taught me a lot

Jock Dickson
22-07-12, 13:06
Well done Richie, a fitting tribute to who was obviously a fine man and a credit to the Lowie. I never knew him but I am sure he will be sorely missed. RIP

loftysmudge
23-07-12, 19:28
Well done Richie, a fitting tribute to who was obviously a fine man and a credit to the Lowie. I never knew him but I am sure he will be sorely missed. RIP

Obviously a fine man and oppo.

Wilf Pickles
30-09-16, 13:28
Gavin and I were good friends and enjoyed being in the Aft Po's mess on Lowie. I saw him a few times before he passed away and he kept up his spirits and sense of humour to the end.

thomash123
30-09-16, 22:47
I did not know him but Richie your words were so kind. rip