PDA

View Full Version : Terry Smy

Ianmac
22-07-12, 22:46
We have been informed that Commander Terry Smy OBE, CO of Lowestoft from August 1977 - August 1979 "Crossed the Bar" in July 1992.

Richie
23-07-12, 06:11
Whilst browsing the web last night I found a picture of a Pint of Green Jack Beer, (a local micro brewery in Lowestoft) The caption under the picture was Drinking a pint of ""Green Jack, I had to as my Dad was Captain of HMS Lowestoft." The pic was a link to Twitter and the person was called Chris Smy. I tweeted the Association link to him last night and he replied saying that he had forwarded the link to his mother as she must have some pictures and fond memories of the Lowestoft

Christopher Smy ‏@chris_1974
@trawlerboy thankyou for the link. I've many memories of hms lowestoft, and it was obviously a massive part of my dads life.

jacko
24-07-12, 16:05
While in the Gibraltar rugby club with the lowie rugby team getting hammered, our CO came in with a lady he had been playing tennis with, next thing Terry Smy called over, "Jacko come over here, tell the Lady (can't remember her name) when I was CO of the Dundas I took the the ships' company skiing in Voss Norway". So I explained our CO was fond of skiing and gave lessons on the foc>sle, apart from one officer who suffered a broken leg a good time was had by all.
Our CO spent a lot of time in Canada as he was a boffin on Sonar teaching in our Navy, I think Chris was born in Canada.
He was a real leader. RIP

tomburke
25-07-12, 11:35
That is very sad news about Commander Terry Smy.
He was skipper for most of my time on board, He was very strict but very fair.
He let me off lightly after a particular 'incident' in Madeira.
He ended up with egg on his face thrown by the skipper of the survey ship Herald, all my fault.
I thought I was going to get 60 days DQ's, I got 7 days 9's, and was over the moon!
That 'dit' is for another time.

Sandy Sanders
25-07-12, 17:52
We had three Skippers during my time on board, Cdr Smy, was my third skipper.
May he always be at peace, and know that he is remembered,

As memories may fade but never leave.
we all leave tracks as we pass,
even tears cannot wash them away.
sail on my friends, but return for me, when its time.

loftysmudge
26-07-12, 10:08
We had three Skippers during my time on board, Cdr Smy, was my third skipper.
May he always be at peace, and know that he is remembered,

As memories may fade but never leave.
we all leave tracks as we pass,
even tears cannot wash them away.
sail on my friends, but return for me, when its time.

Well said Sandy

Wiggy
25-02-15, 21:22
Cdr Smy was a good skipper, as a bunting tosser I saw a lot of him, we had a navigating officer called LT D unphy who wasn't very well liked he was a good navvy but shit at man management and the skipper knew it and he pulled him a few times because of the way he spoke to people. I got called to the skippers cabin one evening where he told me that he had changed my annual report because he wasn't happy with the navvys
Marking and he had upped it to VG sup. good bloke RIP skipper