PDA

View Full Version : Garry Whitford

Ianmac
23-07-12, 19:34
Marine Engineering Mechanic Garry Whitford of Moorside Avenue, Blackburn, died when his ship HMS Ardent was sunk in the Falkland Sounds on Friday, May 21, 1982.

The 25-year-old’s mother, Theresa Whitford spoke to the Lancashire Telegraph at the time of his death.
She said: “The Navy was Garry’s career and he never talked about coming out. It was the job he always wanted.”
Garry signed on for nine years, aged 18, and had served with HMS Devonshire and HMS Lowestoft before joining HMS Ardent in Easter 1982.
The Ardent was sunk by Argentinian aircraft with the loss of 22 lives. Another 30 were injured

loftysmudge
24-07-12, 10:14
Marine Engineering Mechanic Garry Whitford of Moorside Avenue, Blackburn, died when his ship HMS Ardent was sunk in the Falkland Sounds on Friday, May 21, 1982.
The 25-year-old’s mother, Theresa Whitford spoke to the Lancashire Telegraph at the time of his death.
She said: “The Navy was Garry’s career and he never talked about coming out. It was the job he always wanted.”
Garry signed on for nine years, aged 18, and had served with HMS Devonshire and HMS Lowestoft before joining HMS Ardent in Easter 1982.The Ardent was sunk by Argentinian aircraft with the loss of 22 lives. Another 30 were injured

Nearly a "Townie"of mine,Blackburn is just about 7 or 8 miles from Bolton,I remember the press coverage at the time,we also had a Bolton lad,David Stroud,who was killed on the Glamorgan,and in whose memory we held a memorial service a few weeks ago.On the 30th anniversary of the attack on Glamorgan.I suppose there must have been other lads killed from the North West, as well of course, as from all over the country."We Will Remember Them"

Richie
24-07-12, 11:05
R.I.P Shipmate you gave more than we ever could

loftysmudge
24-07-12, 15:46
R.I.P Shipmate you gave more than we ever could

It gives us peace time sailors some idea of what the lads in the World Wars went through dosn't it?Losing their oppos in horrible circumstances,to extend your epitaph further Richie RIP to all sailors of the RN who have died in action anywhere in the world,and those who have "Crossed the Bar" in peace time of old age or illness or for whatever reason.May they indeed "Rest in Peace".

Kevin Barry
31-10-13, 12:23
Nearly a "Townie"of mine,Blackburn is just about 7 or 8 miles from Bolton,I remember the press coverage at the time,we also had a Bolton lad,David Stroud,who was killed on the Glamorgan,and in whose memory we held a memorial service a few weeks ago.On the 30th anniversary of the attack on Glamorgan.I suppose there must have been other lads killed from the North West, as well of course, as from all over the country."We Will Remember Them"

I remember doing a few watches on the aft of the Lowestoft, look out. Had a few chats with Gary over a hot cuppa, parked on a bollard. He was a blonde haired laddie, we got on well as I came from Manchester, which was pretty near where he came from. My first proper draft and a friendly face outwith of the seaman branch. He would pop up for his fresh air, we'd have a wee blether and off he went. I vividly remember him telling me he had a swap draft and that he was really excited. Strange how these things stay with you after all those years. Tore the heart out of me, to discover his fate.

thomash123
06-11-13, 00:38

Garry signed on for nine years, aged 18, and had served with HMS Devonshire and HMS Lowestoft before joining HMS Ardent in Easter 1982.
The Ardent was sunk by Argentinian aircraft with the loss of 22 lives. Another 30 were injured

RIP shipmate.

Wilf Pickles
01-01-16, 17:05
I served on Lowie with Garry. Prior to EBD he was an LOEM and part of my WE After Damage Control party on Lowie. He was the most knowledgeable and reliable member of my team. Knowing of the Ardent i suspect he was again After DC Party only this time for real. I often think about him with fondness and know he loved the RN and was without doubt one of the best. I was upset to a degree that his name is not on the Falklands Memorial in HMS Collingwood where he spent much of his time training as a WE. I am sure that many of his old Collingwood peers thought the same.

I am now happy to say that i have since visited HMS Sultan to find that he is remembered on their Falklands Memorial. I remember the angst that Engineering Branch Development caused whilst we were on Lowie. It didn't seem to bother Garry too much as his only aim was to be a good Leading hand and Mechanic.

All happened a long time ago now but never forgotten RIP. Wilf Pickles POREL