PDA

View Full Version : Mike Fawcett - Former CO of Lowestoft

Ianmac
12-09-11, 18:05
We have been informed that Captain Mike Fawcett RN who was the second CO of Lowestoft as a Commander during 1963-1964
"crossed the bar" in 2010.

He served in the Royal Yacht in the 50's and was also the "Commander" of Bulwark probably after he commanded Lowestoft.

Ianmac
12-09-11, 18:07
Sandy Sanders Posted: July 20, 2011 09:13 pm

None are forgotten or left behind,
for there names will reside here.
With the memory's of all,
you will never be alone.
Sandy.

Ianmac
12-09-11, 18:08
loftysmudge Posted: July 21, 2011 09:12 am

I was very sorry to hear about Captain Fawcett crossing the bar.He was my CO on the 2nd commision.I will always remember him roaring along various jetties in his Green Mini Cooper.And once trying to get into the boiler room bare chested and just white shorts,the POM(E) of the watch,can't remember which PO it was,correctly refused him entry and he went away happily enough muttering to the Engineer Officer that he should have told him that you weren't allowed down below unless properly dressed,and that the PO was quite right to refuse entry.

I,of course appeared in front of him a time or two,cap doffed,but he was always fair in his judgements,and always gave you,or your Divisional Officer their fair say.

He was always a Gentleman in my time on the Lowie,with a sense of humour.My favourite memory of him is a little story I told on the forum,of Christmas day in Malta '63,when we had a request programme over the tannoy and someone,of course,requested "I want to go home"by the Beach Boys.The skipper came over the tannoy later,probably wishing us all Merry Christmas etc and said he loved the words"The Captain was a wicked man"Commander Fawcett,as he was then,certainly wasn't a wicked man.He was a very good Skipper,and as I said a Gentleman all the time.