PDA

View Full Version : Big Ginge (James Laing)

Ianmac
12-09-11, 18:18
bonzo Posted: December 03, 2010 12:09 pm

To all who knew this great character and excellent shipmate I have some bad news.I managed to contact his parents in Coventry and was informed he passed away on Boxing day 2009 of a heart attack.I have spoken to his wife Jackie who told me he was working in security at Morwellham Quay off Dartmoor at the time.He was found in a mock pub they have there called ' The Ship 'She said that he always maintained he would die in a pub. Appropriatly, as it turned out, one called ' The Ship '. Ginge was a major player in this life,full of fun.One of lifes characters.I had many adventures with him over the years and to this day still have the photo of us in Singers on my wall'
He is buried in Efford Cemetary Plymouth with,but not alongside,Bobby from Malta and my Great Grandmother Eleanor.So in the best of company.
I would like to think a fitting epitaph would be.
BIG GINGE WAS A VERY REFINED MAN
ALTHOUGH HE WAS FOND OF THE ODD COCKROACH

BONZO.

Ianmac
12-09-11, 18:20
Sandy Sanders Posted: December 03, 2010 02:54 pm
I would also like to say something here, that I have already said to bonzo,
If only we were doing this a year ago.
I would also like to say that matelots know how to live life to the full,
And big Ginge was no exception, his and all matelots the world over are a celebration of life and all that it means.

We are but ships that pass on the seas of life,
Time has no meaning here.
For here we sleep, till our ship sails agian.
Sandy.

Ianmac
12-09-11, 18:21
Jock Dickson Posted: December 03, 2010 11:56 pm
Bonzo and Sandy, I never met the guy, but what a wonderful epitaph. Typical of most who sailed on the Lowie.

Ianmac
12-09-11, 18:22
bonzo Posted: December 28, 2010 12:13 am
Just one more sentiment for my old buddy.

LOVE FOR A WOMAN WAXES AND WANES LIKE THE MOON
BUT THE FRIENDSHIP OF A MAN LASTS FOREVER.

Ianmac
12-09-11, 18:23
Chas Posted: December 30, 2010 09:22 pm
I Remember him as a good natured, affable shipmate who never gave anyone a hard time. He was also a lot brighter than he cared to let on. Sad to think he is no longer with us. RIP "Ginge"

Ianmac
12-09-11, 18:24
the.kes Posted: July 02, 2011 09:33 pm

Looking at the photo of Ginge on the beach at Santos puts the final part into the jigsaw of an incident in Hong Kong which I am pretty sure involved Ginge. We were there for three weeks on AMP and Ginge went ashore the first week to have the outline of the dragon tattoo done, he had to wait a week for the scab to drop off before he could some more done. So second week he went ashore and got the top half completed, then went and got rat-arsed before coming back onboard and threatening to stuff a broom up the arse of the Officer of the Day who was on the gangway - result, Ginge gets 9's for the last week of the trip and I always thought never got the tattoo finished.

Remember that beach in Brazil as well for the sign stuck in the sand below high water mark in Spanish, obviously i could not understand it but a local informed me it said "DANGER - QUICK SAND", not that dangerous though for a matelot to stand beside it safely.

Ianmac
12-09-11, 18:24
bonzo Posted: July 03, 2011 04:47 pm
Good Ginge story Kes.Another short one I remember was in Gib during the changeover.Ginge went swimming on the other side of the rock,through the tunnel.While sunbathing on a rock with his arm in the water something grabbed him.He fought it off but had to go to sick bay with big red sucker marks around his arm,I cant recall how long they were there for but I think the Octopus?Giant Squid? picked on the wrong matelot that time.Lots of great memories with Ginge.Magic bloke,sorely missed.

Ianmac
12-09-11, 18:26
Sandy Sanders Posted: July 04, 2011 05:14 pm
Big ginge was a bit like My Brother sylveste.
If that had been real Quick sand,
he would have waited untill he got to the bottom,
so as to not to waiste any,
then, sucked it all up,
walked out of the pit.
spewed it all up, in front of the ships gangway,
so he had an excuse not to get back on board in time.
Then headed off to the nearest bar,
saying I'm hungry and somebody get me a drink.
I think I've got a sand ball in my throat.
Anything could happen when you where with the big man.
I would have loved to have been able,
to have one more sesh with him at the reunion.
I will miss him too.
Sandy.

Ianmac
12-09-11, 18:26
thomash123 Posted: July 24, 2011 12:04 am
It was really sad to read here that big Ginge has departed us, he was the ultimate matelot and friend of everyone. What a man, he will be sadly missed by all.

v6pilot
22-10-15, 21:49
Rip Ginge, glad to have known you.