PDA

View Full Version : Mike Powys-Maurice - Former CO and TASO

Ianmac
12-09-11, 18:47
Lt Mike Powys-Maurice was the TAS and Quarterdeck Officer during the Lowestoft's first commission 1961-1963.

He was later the CO of Lowestoft as a Commander from 1971 - 1973 and rose to the rank of Commodore in the RN.

A likeable officer who was well respected by the first commission ship's company.

Ianmac
12-09-11, 18:48
George Posted: August 16, 2011 03:49 pm

I have only just found that Mike Powys-Maurice has passed over the bar. He was my Skipper in the '71 to '73 commission. What kind and generous man. I had many meetings with him on the operations team and the senior rates head of departments Saturday mornings meetings. After which we always had a tipple. Often being sent for at 0230 for an important signal to be sent. "The question was " when can I expect a reply POTS "
For all those early shakes I still have fond memories of him. Long may the memory last

ATTY
11-08-13, 17:09
George Posted: August 16, 2011 03:49 pm

I have only just found that Mike Powys-Maurice has passed over the bar. He was my Skipper in the '71 to '73 commission. What kind and generous man. I had many meetings with him on the operations team and the senior rates head of departments Saturday mornings meetings. After which we always had a tipple. Often being sent for at 0230 for an important signal to be sent. "The question was " when can I expect a reply POTS "
For all those early shakes I still have fond memories of him. Long may the memory last

I also served with Mike on the Lowestoft, he was C.O. and a very good one. My first meet with him was when I got called to the Captains cabin where he told me that he new my gran very well, there would be no privileges because of this, he was a top man and I was proud to have served under him. God bless Sir, you will be missed