PDA

View Full Version : Ian (John) MacDonald

Ianmac
09-10-14, 19:24
We have been informed that Ian (John) MacDonald (“Fingers”) who lived in Rosyth and served onboard the Lowie 1963-1964 as an LM(E), ‘crossed the bar’ on the 28 September 2014 aged 87.

Obituary from the 'local press':-
MACDONALD John Bain
Peacefully, at the Victoria Hospital, Kirkcaldy, on Sunday, September 28, 2014, John Bain (known as Ian and Merry Mac), aged 87 years, of Rosyth and formerly of Broomhouse, Edinburgh. Beloved husband to Irene, dear dad to Allan, Kim, John, Leslie, Robert and David, beloved papa to all his grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Funeral service takes place at Warriston Crematorium, on Wednesday, October 8, 2014, at 11 am, to which all family and friends are respectfully invited. Family flowers only please, however if desired, donations can be made towards the Macmillan Nurses.

One of our members from the 64-65 commission Ianto [Taff] Powell who lives in Edinburgh attended the funeral service.

Mick Drake
09-10-14, 20:53
I knew Jock McDonald very well as he was a senior Killick Stoker on the mess I was on (8 mess) I think he maybe got the nick name "fingers" because of the habit he had of sitting with his elbow on the table with his hand up to his face a finger either side of his nose with what appeared the two centre fingers up his nose. This in fact wasn't the case because he apparently before joining the navy was a mine worker and he had lost a joint of each of those fingers in a mining accident.
His passing will mean that I now cannot achieve one of my lifes ambitions which was to recover the monies he had been borrowing off me which had amounted up to £36 before disapearing off on draft without a word to anyone. £36 in 1964 wasn't a small amount of moneis to anyone and as a ME2 and as I was saving up to get married was a considerable amount of money to me. As an acting POME which is what he was when he went on draft suddenly he should have known better to do this to a young stoker, in todays monies it equates to between £650 & £700.
I cannot hold a grudge against the dead so although he was a bit of a rogue Rest in Peace Jock. If I meet you again when we have both got little wings then you owe me two or three fluffy clouds.

Den
10-10-14, 08:52
RIP Shippers heres a beer- for the journey

loftysmudge
10-10-14, 12:09
RIP Jock, I remember you very well, always helped a young buff stoker like I was then.

There are a couple of photos of him with a group of us in Naples in my gallery on this forum.

Ianto Powell
10-10-14, 14:57
During my time at Claverhouse (Forth Division RNR) I got re-united with Mac.
He was absolutely hopeless with money, once we got ashore anywhere, when it was his round he used to gasp ' I've lost my wallet' or 'I've forgot my wallet'.............we got wise to him and ensured he carried cash with him....but he was a likeable guy......the funeral service was a good laugh, better than most weddings.

loftysmudge
10-10-14, 18:53
During my time at Claverhouse (Forth Division RNR) I got re-united with Mac.
He was absolutely hopeless with money, once we got ashore anywhere, when it was his round he used to gasp ' I've lost my wallet' or 'I've forgot my wallet'.............we got wise to him and ensured he carried cash with him....but he was a likeable guy......the funeral service was a good laugh, better than most weddings.

I remember once going into Weymouth from Portland on the bus and another stoker was giving us buff stokers a hard time and Jock told him to back off and leave us alone. Don't remember his "lost the wallet" bit though.

thomash123
10-10-14, 19:08
I never knew you jock but rest in peace mate.

Mick Drake
10-10-14, 20:19
I remember once going into Weymouth from Portland on the bus and another stoker was giving us buff stokers a hard time and Jock told him to back off and leave us alone. Don't remember his "lost the wallet" bit though.

He hadn't really lost his wallet Lofty, he was just protecting my £36 quid just in case he bumped into me so's he could give it me back.

bonzo
10-10-14, 21:02
He hadn't really lost his wallet Lofty, he was just protecting my £36 quid just in case he bumped into me so's he could give it me back.

Not really the place but one dit comes to mind Mick. On the Torquay my oppo went on draft suddenly owing me a fiver,a fortune in 67.I then found he hit the mess funds all over the shop before he did the flit. He was my bessy oppo at the time and he didn't even say goodbye. Never seen him since but if I did I doubt if I would mention it, just talk about the great runs ashore we had. Sounds like Jock was a good bloke, just a bit skint at the time. £36 was a lot of money to lose, you must have been sorely pissed off. RIP.

Mick Drake
10-10-14, 23:07
Not really the place but one dit comes to mind Mick. On the Torquay my oppo went on draft suddenly owing me a fiver,a fortune in 67.I then found he hit the mess funds all over the shop before he did the flit. He was my bessy oppo at the time and he didn't even say goodbye. Never seen him since but if I did I doubt if I would mention it, just talk about the great runs ashore we had. Sounds like Jock was a good bloke, just a bit skint at the time. £36 was a lot of money to lose, you must have been sorely pissed off. RIP.

I don't see any problem with your dit Mike, we are after all remembering an old shipmate and lets face it your old shippers from the Torquay pulled a flanker on his oppos. This is part of life, some where someone will be doing it to his/her oppo but it doesn't mean that that person is all bad, yes Jock was a very likable person when I knew him he liked a run ashore even on someone elses money & yes Mike I was really *issed off as I was only picking up £9 a payday so that equated to 4 paydays or 2 months money at the pay table, he was possibly as Ianto has said a very likeable person for the last 50 years but it hasn't stopped the fact coming out he was a bit tight with his money or mine when it came to buying his round. It does make you wonder if he even tried to borrow some money to pay for his round this last half century
This fact of course brings to mind the joke about the scotsman with 2 ft. long arms and 5 ft. deep pockets.
His lifes journey is now over and he was undoubtly loved by his family and friends and a bit of a charactor so RIP JOck, Fingers or whatever you loved to be called.

PS And before anyone asks. No I will not have any loans available at the reunion next week. (I learnt my lesson)

loftysmudge
11-10-14, 08:39

Its funny really I just never remember any problems with him over money, but then again my memory is shot at. And I never had any money anyway.

RIP Jock, I looked up to you on the Lowie and will respect your memory.

Mick Drake
13-10-14, 09:46

This photo of our the late Ian John McDonald clearly shows why he got the name of "fingers" due to the missing tops of his middle fingers. This part of a photo was taken from the Lofty Smith album.